ProEFI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProEFI

Electronic Fuel Injection Discussion Forums

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
whatthe

ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Empty
PostSubject: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 1:40 pm

On version 3 of the software on my IS300 with VVTi swapped GTE using IS300 harness, trying to get the car sorted and running into a few 'weird' glitches.  Are these items just how it shows in the software, or is this happening now?

Bit of background, then the questions. -

I bought a rough basemap from IP just to get the car going just so I could spend a little more time on actual tuning.  First go, took a fair bit of cranking but car actually started up.  Idle was over 2500rpms, and throttle not very responsive so shut it down.  Tried flashing in a couple things on software, and tried again... no change.  Idle is under factory ECU control, so looked that route... found a few likely causes to the high idle  - loose wire on my coolant temp sensor, and power steering sensor from low fluid.  

After that coolant temp reading was several degrees from reality, but resistance close to another coolant temp sensor I have here. So I just took out the coolant sensor, measured the actual resistance on it at various temps, calculated out the ADC count, and built a new curve for it.  Tweaked the settings on the pressure sensor to get it close to zero, noted I had a 3 bar sensor in software vs. the 5 bar I had, said it was setup to start with Flexfuel - fixed that, etc.

Few days later, load latest calibration and changes in... with key in - pressure reading 0, coolant temp accurate per outside temp, air temp matching coolant temp... looking good...

Start it up, and it fills my oil, lungs, and neighbourhood with an unburnt fuel cloud of epic proportions.  Went back to original cal file.  Same result.  Looking for cause of this, noted the software showing the following

• Fuel Target (AFR) - listed as infinity - with car off
    Injector pulsewidth with car off - 1200-1300ms

Are those settings actually correct? Were the injectors open every time I turned key in ignition to accessory and while I was playing with the settings?  My fuel pressure drops about 10psi fairly quickly, but I have new injector dynamics injectors in it.

Is this related to trial mode - as my ECU randomly entered into a trial mode - *edit* - which should be sorted now but I will have to try hooking up later on.
Back to top Go down
whatthe

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Any thoughts as to why it would all of a sudden run black cloud producing richness by altering ATC scale so the temp was reading accurately or other minor changes? I noticed my cangauge reads °F after, and the ECT transfer table on the laptop says °C. Both read the same numeric value. Is there some kind of conversion error in older firmware?

Given that it had a value for injector pulsewidth with key in on position, but car not on, is it possible the injectors would pulse every 12 seconds or so with the ignition key on and slowly making changes?

Would the trial mode have had an effect on trying to run the vehicle?

I think the only other thing I removed were any of the Flexfuel related faults and such since we can't buy E85 here.

At this point, I have to get wifi to reach my garage for the license update, and I'm going to change the oil and plugs... but I don't want to start it up at all without some better understanding as to the cause.

I'll check to see if I had any random intake air leaks develop, etc..

Back to top Go down
whatthe

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Some simple responses would be a help.

In the meantime, I've put the ProEFI harness and ECU aside put in an Emanage ultimate that I had around with a vehicle specific patch harness so I can do some more logging of factory VVTi and idle conditions. Eventually would like ProEFI to control these and want a better idea what OEM is doing. Although the larger injectors took some tweaking on the Emanage to idle, it does run code free so this should be transferable to the proefi.

Back to top Go down
whatthe

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 6:09 am

Any yes or no answers yet?

Is there a place that I can at least manually set the injector pulsewidth at idle for a quick fix or am I stuck with however it gets calculated out behind the scenes with VE tables?
Back to top Go down
ip-alpha
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Is this Anthony?
Back to top Go down
http://www.inductionperformance.com/
whatthe

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 pm

Hey Alpha,

If it's a good thing - then call me Anthony. tongue Actually my name is Kyle, I go by whatthe on the my.is forum as well (been on there since 2002).

I realize there is a min duration (ms) under the Fuel system set-up, but is there no way to map out injector duration myself at certain ranges? I could build myself a spreadsheet to calculate this out from VE, if I knew the background calc it was using. The Volumetric Efficiency .pdf in the proefi file is pretty vague just pointing to a generic total amount of fuel to be injected based on AFR, but not how it actually determines how it will pulse the injectors, etc.

Also, is it possible there was still injector pulses with the ignition on, but car not running per what was showing on my screen?

Back to top Go down
ip-alpha
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 6:09 pm

whatthe wrote:
Hey Alpha,

If it's a good thing - then call me Anthony.  tongue     Actually my name is Kyle, I go by whatthe on the my.is forum as well  (been on there since 2002).

I realize there is a min duration (ms) under the Fuel system set-up, but is there no way to map out injector duration myself at certain ranges? I could build myself a spreadsheet to calculate this out from VE, if I knew the background calc it was using. The Volumetric Efficiency .pdf in the proefi file is pretty vague just pointing to a generic total amount of fuel to be injected based on AFR, but not how it actually determines how it will pulse the injectors, etc.

Also, is it possible there was still injector pulses with the ignition on, but car not running per what was showing on my screen?

You can e-mail me Kyle. You are over complicating things. Just tune the VE. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It's not possible for the injector to pulse with koeo
Back to top Go down
http://www.inductionperformance.com/
whatthe

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 9:58 am

ip-alpha wrote:
whatthe wrote:
Hey Alpha,

If it's a good thing - then call me Anthony.  tongue     Actually my name is Kyle, I go by whatthe on the my.is forum as well  (been on there since 2002).

You can e-mail me Kyle. You are over complicating things. Just tune the VE. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It's not possible for the injector to pulse with koeo

Thanks Alpha,

I would agree that I tend to over-complicate things, and I get that it's set up for people so changes are easier based on percentages/etc. than trying to do the math side. This is definitely a better way to do it for most people. So I do have a couple questions on settings that would be great if you can confirm on email.

As a side, I've had a bit of spare time to build myself some excel tables for target ranges of injector pulsewidth based on the injector size/RPM/target air and fuel mass... plus used some old TDT logs to and dynos for some other rough values. So, if I only have VE to work with, I should be able to get myself closer quicker.

I will say that I was not confident this was solely VE based at the time because I've done over 1000 dyno runs back in the day when I worked at a performance shop and this was genuinely the worst over-fueling I've experienced. The only other weird thing I noticed is that when I switched to A/F under units and then go to the Target Fuel Mixture tab that also switches to air/fuel ratio values and then try to make changes... the software says the 'max value is 2.55' and it won't change the number. Even though it already has 14.7 or 12.5 etc. in the target table. Again, I don't know the role of the target fuel mixture tab or if that could be the easy explanation I was looking for, but will try again with just VE over the holidays here and just stick to equivalency ratio instead of A/F for units.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things   ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ProEFI setup questions - infinity AFR/other strange things
Page 1 of 1