ProEFI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProEFI

Electronic Fuel Injection Discussion Forums

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install

Go down 
+2
LexusFTW
DaveT
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveT

94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Empty
PostSubject: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:33 pm

I wanted to share another install of the ProEFI accessories into my 94 auto Supra. Jason, Adam, Larry, if there is something on here that doesn’t look right, please let me know so I can correct it.

The following shows the install of the following ProEFI accessories:
ProEFI Can Gauge
ProEFI IBoost Switch
Wiring the traction control to the ProEFI
ProEFI Boost Controller

I started with wiring up the traction control to the ProEFI. There are instructions on the ProEFI website on how to do this which I followed. First locate the ABS/TRAC module which is under the radio, harness connectors A20 and A21. You will also need to locate the TRAC module which is next to the stock ECU, harness connector T9. Below diagram shows where each connector is.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Pinlocation
I pulled the 3 connectors off the ABS/TRAC module (A20, A21, A22) and slid the harness under the lower dash panel which gave me room to work with. Here are the 3 connectors
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6283
I then spliced in 2 Conductor Shield Wire as shown in this diagram below. The top portion of the diagram is splicing into the A20 and A21 ABS/TRAC harness. Imagine looking at the back of the connector where the wires actually come out, that is what you are looking at in the picture. The shielded wires that I used had a Blue and Brown wire. I labeled each strand 7 and 8. 7 is wired into the Right Rear Wheel Speed Signal/Return and 8 is wired into the Right Front Wheel Speed Signal/Return. Once connected, ground the shielded wires as close to the ABS/TRAC module as you can. Then route the wires to the ProEFI and splice into the J1A connecter.

***UPDATED GUIDE FOR THIS IN POST #3, PLEASE READ***

94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install ABSModule
I pulled the pins that I needed out of the A20/A21 connectors using the instructions from the manual and a very small flathead screwdriver. Be very careful not to break the connector. When you figure out how to pull a pin out, you’ll realize it’s fairly simple; it’s the first time that’s difficult. Here is harness 7 with the blue and brown wires connected to connector A21. I pulled the pins so I could splice in the wires and put heat shrink around the solder rather than electrical tape.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6285
I then did the same with harness 8 to connector A20. Note the ground wires coming off both shielded wires.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6287
I connected another wire to both shielded wires noted in the above picture. Both harness 7 and 8 go to the right of the picture while the added ground wire drops off the picture.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6288
I then reconnected A20, A21, A22 back to the ABS/TRAC module and routed harness 7/8 to the ProEFI. You can also see where I grounded the shielded wire (barely), it is the single bolt on the lower right corner of the picture.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6291
Then connect harness 7/8 to the ProEFI J1A connector as shown in the diagram.
Rear Right WSS Signal connects to J1 A01
Rear Right WSS Return connects to J1 A32
Front Right WSS Signal connects to J1 A12
Front Right WSS Return connects to J1 A32
What you also need to do is remove the connectors that go into J1 A01 and J1 A12 at the stock ECU harness (pins B21 and B23). I didn’t do this which resulted in a lot of noise in the WSS signals. Adam at ProEFI fixed this for me. I’m not sure if he also removed the J1 A32 stock ECU harness pin as well. If you have questions with this part, it’s a good idea to either talk to Adam, Jason, Larry, or Reid.

I then worked on wiring up from the TRAC module which is no longer part of the car since I’ve removed the factory traction control. Locate the T9 connector which is shown below
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6293
I removed the wires from Pins 5 (Light Green), 23 (Light Green/Red), 24 (White) from the T9 connector. I then cut the terminals off, added new terminals and attached a connector labeled 1 to these three wires as shown in the following pictures.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6294
New terminals attached
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6295
Connector 1 attached
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6296
I then wired a new 3 wire harness to the ProEFI:
Light Green wire goes to J1 C11 (TRAC Request Switch Signal)
Light Green/Red wire goes to J2 B02 (TRAC OFF Light Control Signal)
White wire goes to J2 B21 (TRAC SLIP Light Control Signal)

To finish the install of the ProEFI traction control wiring, I needed to remove the Light Green/Red wire from the factory Traction Solenoid Relay. This is Pin 5 that goes into the Traction Solenoid Relay as shown below. This is from the relay box found on the passenger side of the engine compartment.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install TracSolRelay
I tried to pull the relay out and push the pin out so I wouldn’t have to cut the terminal off but in doing so I damaged the cover to the relay box. I really have no clue how to remove them. Part number for the new relay is 88263-24030 which Curt at Elmhurst Toyota quickly shipped out to me.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6430b
Here you can see I gave up in removing the terminal and just cut the Light Green/Red wire. I put heat shrink over the cut wires so they don’t accidently short to ground.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6403
I then started on the Boost Control Solenoid. This connects directly to the VSV for the stock Wastegate (terminal V8). Here is where the location of terminal V8 would normally be. Mine was located under the intake manifold as I moved some of the wiring harness around during the first part of the build.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install WastegateV8

Last edited by DaveT on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DaveT

94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Here is the terminal
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6242
I cut the terminal off and soldered in new wires. The Blue/White stock wire was connected to the pin1 of the boost controller while the Black/Red wire was connected to pin 2.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6244
I wrapped that up with installing the Boost Controller to the ABS pump.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6245
That is all you need to do to wire up the boost controller, nothing needs to be done at the ECU side. Wrap the install up by connecting the hoses accordingly.

Next was the ProEFI CAN Gauge. This was also fairly simple, just make sure to splice into the correct ProEFI connector. The instructions provided are very clear. I have the ProEFI 128 with V2 firmware. This required adding a 120 ohm resistor to the Blue and White wires on the CAN gauge harness. I added this, as seen below. I followed that up with heat shrinking over the resistor.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6281
Then connect the wires from the CAN gauge harness as follows if you have the 128 with V2 or newer software. If not there are other instructions you need to follow (which are provided in the install guide):
Red wire (Switched Power) splices to J1 B02
Black wire (Ground) splices to J2 A24
White wire (CAN HI) goes into J1 C17, this will need a terminal added as it is not spliced into an existing wire
Blue wire (CAN LO) goes into J1 C18, this will need a terminal added as it is not spliced into an existing wire

Once that is connected at the ECU, connect the CAN gauge harness to the CAN gauge. I have mine mounted at the stock clock location. No cutting was required. This isn’t a flush mount though, SP has done flush mounts in this location and it looks very nice.
CAN Gauge
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6269
Stock Clock
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6268
CAN Gauge installed
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6270

I finally needed to install the IBoost switch. Again, this is also fairly simple with the instruction provided in the kit. This is the install on the IBoost Harness to ProEFI connector J1A
Red wire (5V Reference) is spliced to J1 A11
Black wire (Sensor Return) is spliced to J1 A24
Green wire (Output Signal) is inserted (not spliced as there is a terminal already connected to this wire) into J1 A16

I attached the IBoost switch to one of the black openings next to the TRAC button. I simply drilled a small hole in the cover, pushed the IBoost switched in. I was already tight and not going anywhere, but I added a small amount of silicon adhesive to the sides on the switch to secure it in place. I then tapped small dimples onto the front cover for each IBoost position (5 positions). I followed that up with painting these dimples white.
Here is the back side of the switch already in the cover
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6306
Here is the tool I used to make the dimples as well as the paint brush. Each dot indicates an IBoost setting. This lines up with the white stripe on the IBoost knob.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6307
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6310
And here it is installed on the dash panel. All that was left was to connect the IBoost Harness to the IBoost switch and the ProEFI install off these components was complete.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install IMAG0626
Here is what I added to the harness so far.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6299a
And finally with the ProEFI back in place
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6300
Here is a picture of the plastic cover that will go over the ProEFI with a small amount of cutting involved.
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install CIMG6369
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks to Larry’s input, I wanted to make an update to part of the TRAC wiring guide that I have above. Larry said that only one return from the WSS signal needs to go to the ProEFI. I looked at the wiring diagram for the WSS circuitry in the ABS/TRAC module and sure enough it appears the WSS Returns (NEG Signal) share a common ground. Here is the diagram
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install WSSWiringdiagram
With this, you only need to connect a wire from either A20 Pin 4 or A21 Pin 10 (if you are using the Right WSS’s) and connect that to J1 A32 on the ProEFI harness. Here is the updated diagram in which I show only the Front Right WSS Return being used for the ProEFI Speed Ground signal
94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install ABSModule3

THANKS LARRY Smile
Back to top Go down
LexusFTW

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Where would I find shielded cable for the traction control wiring? Also, what is the purpose of the wires at the Trac ECU and the Trac relay? I was under the impression that wiring the wheel speed sensors was all that was needed.
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Wiring up the traction control the way I showed requires removing the factory Traction Control ECU found to the right of the factory ECU. The TRAC ON/OFF switch is wired directly to the factory TRAC ECU. If the TRAC switch is set to OFF, the TRAC ECU sends a signal to the TRAC OFF indicator on the left hand LED indicator on the dash (TELLTALE LIGHT). When the TRAC ECU senses wheel slip, it sends a signal to the TRAC LED indicator on the Combination Meter on your dash. Now when you remove the TRAC ECU from the circuit, these functions no longer work unless you hook them up to the ProEFI as I’ve shown above.

Also you need to remove the Light Green/Red wire from the Traction control solenoid relay or the TRAC OFF LED indicator will not function properly (this information came from Larry).

And rather than splicing into J1 A01 and J1 A12, you can just remove the pins from these terminals and insert new pins from your newly added WSS sensor wires. That way you would not need to cut the factory WSS sensor wires like I did in my install. Josh S on Supraforums help me understand this.

Also Josh isn’t running shielded cable either and he seems to not have any issues at the moment. I’m not sure where to get shielded wire from, I was fortunate enough to get some from Jason at ProEFI. You should be able to find it online somewhere.
Back to top Go down
LexusFTW

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Smile
It really helps to understand exactly what's going on rather than following directions.

Do you see any reason to wire up all four speed sensor wires after using it?

Also, did you order new pins for the ProEFI or did you source them elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 6:44 pm

If you are referring to the two WS signals and the two WS grounds that I wired up then I think you should only do the 3 wires rather than the 4 that I did. The WSS returns (grounds) are electrically the same so you just need one of the grounds to go to the ProEFI J1 A32.

All ProEFI harnesses came with everything and no additional terminals were needed. Since I spliced into the ProEFI harness for the traction control I didn't need any additional terminals. If you do it the way Josh did which I recommend, then you will need additional terminals. Contact ProEFI to find out where to get the terminals as I don't know where to get those. You could cut and connect into from the factory harness that goes into the ProEFI harness as well which wouldn't require additional terminals.
Back to top Go down
ovey1

PostSubject: can gauge resistor   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 7:52 pm

hey is it just the round can gauge or do you need the resistor for all the can gauges? thanks

i read nothing about using a resistor in the instructions thanks
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't know the answer to that, I only know the resistor is needed for the CAN gauge to work with the ProEFI 128 ECU running version 2 firmware or newer. ProEFI 128 ECUs running version 1 firmware do not need the resistor (the pinout for the CAN gauge install is also different when running V1 firmware).
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 3:06 pm

ovey1 wrote:
hey is it just the round can gauge or do you need the resistor for all the can gauges? thanks

i read nothing about using a resistor in the instructions thanks

One terminating resistor is needed on each can channel, but only one. CAN Channel 1 has it by default in the comms cable. When you add a CAN device to Channel 2 (as Dave did) you need to add one to that channel.
Back to top Go down
https://proefiforum.forumakers.com
rob.boost

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 am

Wondering if anyone has wired up a 97 supra for traction control.   The box is completely different.

Nevermind, I found my answer. For anyone else needing this information here it is.

97 ABS with Traction Control Wheel Speed Sensors
FL+ = A21-8 White
FL- = A21-2 Black
FR+ = A21-3 Red
FR- = A21-9 Blue
RL+ = A20-22 Violet
RL- = A20-9 Light Green
RR+ = A20-10 Blue
RR- = A20-23 Pink
Back to top Go down
justinlinder

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:10 am

I've almost got this 97 auto I'm doing buttoned up, I do have one question on my install though, now that I've gotten to the Trac wiring I find that the inputs are already wired for tail shaft speeds in the jumper harness? There are wires in the factory harness there as well so I'm guessing they are used for something? I couldn't find where they go in my wiring diagrams so I'm unsure if they are needed or can be repurposed for the wheel speed inputs? Any help would be great, I'd like to get this thing running this week.
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:29 am

Are you trying to wire in your wheel speed sensors from the ABS unit to the ProEFI?

With the auto, there are many pins that are used to control the transmission that are unused in the manual harness. You need to leave these auto harness pins in place.
Back to top Go down
justinlinder

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:34 am

Yes trying to wire in wheel speed sensors from the abs ecu to the proefi.. But spd1 and spd2 inputs are already wired in the jumper harness and have wires in the factory engine harness, pins b21 and b23 in the factory harness if I remember correctly. These pinouts arent on the engine wiring diagram I have and I havent been able to find a diagram that shows them so I'm not sure where they go.
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:39 am

Ok, let me dig around a little and see if I can help you out. I remember wiring the wheel speed sensors signal/return to J1A32, J1A01, and J1A12 without doing anything on the stock harness side. I think in doing this there was a lot of noise in the signal lines for the wheel speed sensor signal. One or both of the wires for these signals were cut since the noise was coming from the transmission speed sensors.
Back to top Go down
DaveT

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:44 am

Found it:

DaveT wrote:
What you also need to do is remove the connectors that go into J1 A01 and J1 A12 at the stock ECU harness (pins B21 and B23). I didn’t do this which resulted in a lot of noise in the WSS signals.

http://94supraturbos.synthasite.com/resources/1997%20Electrical.pdf
pdf page 251 shows the B21 and B23 speed signals that need to be removed for the wheel speed sensors for ProEFI.
Back to top Go down
justinlinder

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Ok sweet so just remove and replase with wheel speed signals... Got it! Thank you!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install   94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

94 Supra Auto CAN Gauge, IBoost Switch, Boost Controller, Trac Wiring Install
Page 1 of 1