ProEFI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ProEFI

Electronic Fuel Injection Discussion Forums

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Lite" version of user software?

Go down 
+2
Admin
gbennett
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gbennett

"Lite" version of user software? Empty
PostSubject: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I have a Samsung netbook for tuning, perfect size for the job and even fits in the glovebox of an Evo .. but I'm having some frustration with the setup...

I purchased the machine new and have limited programs of any kind on it other than the user software, these Netbooks are all pretty similar in speed and memory, its an inten Atom 1.66GHz processor and I added a larger Ram stick up to 2GB which did help out some, but I'm still having a tough time with the combination..

Bringing up any of the tabs in the user software takes quite a long time, probably 10 to 20 seconds in most cases, although some take over 30 seconds. This makes tuning the car, say road tuning, very difficult as the wait times to enter cells of info and select new cells is quite long.. also tuning boost in the "online" state is almost impossible.. I'm not sure if its the graphics intensive layout or something else, but I'm wondering if there are any plans for a "lite" version which might play nicer with the netbook laptops?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:18 pm

gbennett wrote:

I have a Samsung netbook for tuning, perfect size for the job and even fits in the glovebox of an Evo .. but I'm having some frustration with the setup...

I purchased the machine new and have limited programs of any kind on it other than the user software, these Netbooks are all pretty similar in speed and memory, its an inten Atom 1.66GHz processor and I added a larger Ram stick up to 2GB which did help out some, but I'm still having a tough time with the combination..

Bringing up any of the tabs in the user software takes quite a long time, probably 10 to 20 seconds in most cases, although some take over 30 seconds. This makes tuning the car, say road tuning, very difficult as the wait times to enter cells of info and select new cells is quite long.. also tuning boost in the "online" state is almost impossible.. I'm not sure if its the graphics intensive layout or something else, but I'm wondering if there are any plans for a "lite" version which might play nicer with the netbook laptops?

We have found the netbooks running windows 7 to be subpar in running the software. So much of the RAM is eaten up by Windows 7. We have run XP on netbooks with good results, but Windows 7 is just a bit over the top.
Back to top Go down
https://proefiforum.forumakers.com
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 pm

excellent, I will look around and see if i can get a copy of XP to put on it then... looking forward to seeing how it will run then!
Back to top Go down
linuxman51

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 pm

don't bother, it's going to run like a bag of ass in XP too. The only "fix" I found for this sad excuse was to go buy a new laptop. I tried it with XP on my netbook first, added more memory, replaced the hard drive with a single layer SSD, loaded 7 on there, it did run marginally better with 7 and the SSD than it did with xp, but it was still largely useless for any kind of quality tuning.
Back to top Go down
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 am

linuxman51 wrote:
don't bother, it's going to run like a bag of ass in XP too. The only "fix" I found for this sad excuse was to go buy a new laptop. I tried it with XP on my netbook first, added more memory, replaced the hard drive with a single layer SSD, loaded 7 on there, it did run marginally better with 7 and the SSD than it did with xp, but it was still largely useless for any kind of quality tuning.

thanks for the Heads up on that, one thing I can't stand is slow computers. One of my coworkers did a solid state drive in a netbook and it works better so it was something i was thinking to try. I'll just plan on a newer laptop with some horsepower
Back to top Go down
rich

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 12:02 pm

i had to buy a newer laptop as well as my old one didnt have enough processor. It was fine for Haltech, but needed at least an I3 with alot of ram to run the proefi quickly enough.
Back to top Go down
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 8:13 pm

rich wrote:
i had to buy a newer laptop as well as my old one didnt have enough processor. It was fine for Haltech, but needed at least an I3 with alot of ram to run the proefi quickly enough.

alright cool, thanks for the recommendation I'll know what to look for!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm

gbennett wrote:
rich wrote:

alright cool, thanks for the recommendation I'll know what to look for!

Back to top Go down
https://proefiforum.forumakers.com
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Got an I5 ultrabook, software runs good.. got it with an SSD drive but not able to install the user software on the SSD because it then says it cannot locate the server (mototron).. I'd like to iron that out to remove the possibility of a hard drive locking up under acceleration when logging.. actually just had this happen at the sport compact IDRC over the weekend, my final pass I got the 2 step at the tree then flat lines the rest of the run Smile haha
Back to top Go down
TunerChris

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 1:28 am

I am constantly using my laptop to log at the track in various cars, actually my laptop has seen more MPH than I have Wink. Anyways one thing that I have noticed is that sometimes there is so much vibration that you loose USB connectivity. I recommend using a light tape and wrap the USB cord under and tape to the bottom of the laptop so that it limits the movement of the USB connector in the port. I've had to do this a couple times and worked perfect each time I had to do it. Not sure if this is your issue, but its something to explore at least.
Back to top Go down
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:51 am

TunerChris wrote:
I am constantly using my laptop to log at the track in various cars, actually my laptop has seen more MPH than I have Wink. Anyways one thing that I have noticed is that sometimes there is so much vibration that you loose USB connectivity. I recommend using a light tape and wrap the USB cord under and tape to the bottom of the laptop so that it limits the movement of the USB connector in the port. I've had to do this a couple times and worked perfect each time I had to do it. Not sure if this is your issue, but its something to explore at least.

I'll give that a shot, I don't know either but I can't say that it's not, basically all I see in the log/graph is parameters stop trending all of the sudden and stay where they were until the end of the log.. thank you for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
ip-alpha
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Are you using V2 or V3?
Back to top Go down
http://www.inductionperformance.com/
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 1:43 pm

V2 I believe, not in front of it at the moment but I have had this version for 4 years
Back to top Go down
ip-alpha
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm not sure if Jason has a V3 firmware for your application yet. If or when he does switch to V3. It's a lot faster than V2. I've an older laptop. I stopped using the user software for 80% of what I did. I just used the dealer software. Now I find myself using the V3 software for 80% of what I do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.inductionperformance.com/
gbennett

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm not sure either, was looking at the list. It's an evolution 8 I didn't see it listed, good to know though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Lite" version of user software?   "Lite" version of user software? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Lite" version of user software?
Page 1 of 1